Two day course: Sat 25 and Sun 26 May 2019
Susie Hewitt PTSTA (P), MSc Psychotherapy, UKCP Reg Psychotherapist & Supervisor
Who is it aimed at?
Professionals working with any part of the adoptive triad – counsellors; psychotherapists; mental health workers; nurses; doctors; teachers; charity workers; social workers.
In attending this 2 day CPD event you will learn new ways of working with the adoptive triad (adoptee; adoptive parents; birth parents) to create a transformative transferential experience.
Topics covered over the two days:-
- Social and legal history of adoption
- Current legal requirements for working with adoptees
- Intake / assessment protocols for adoptees
- Adoption and neuroscience
- Attachment styles of adoptees
- Adoptee Life Positions and Scripts (incl. injunctions & counter-injunctions)
- Permissions & Affirmations to use with adoptees
- The learning will include several anonymized client vignettes
- What is the Adoptee’s unspoken contract and how to work with this to create a transformative transferential experience
To gain competence and confidence in working with adoptees and their families.
- To understand the legal requirements in working with adoptees
- To understand how neuroscience can inform our work with adoptees
- To learn new protocols and methodologies for working therapeutically with adoptees
- To understand the concept of The Adoptee’s Unspoken Contract.
- To understand how to create a transformative transferential experience for the adoptee
The course will be didactic, experiential and will require active learning by the participants.
Susie works with individuals, couples, families and runs 4 psychotherapy groups in her thriving and diverse private practice in North Manchester. Susie graduated her MSc in TA Psychotherapy at Middlesex University in July 2017 and was endorsed as a Provisional Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst (Psychotherapy) in August 2017 in Berlin. She is a Primary Course Tutor at the Manchester Institute of Psychotherapy where she trains on the 4 year TA Integrative Diploma course.
Susie has a particular interest and experience in adoption (she is adopted herself).