Our training programme is designed to offer you the broadest range of options possible. We provide two educational Programmes that can lead to professional recognition as a counsellor and/or a psychotherapist. These are:
- Diploma in Counselling using TA (COSCA Validated)
- Certified Transactional Analyst Psychotherapist (CTA)
- Registration as Psychotherapist with UKCP
Steps along the way
- A prerequisite for entering any TA training course is completion of the two day TA101 Introduction to Transactional Analysis. This will introduce you to TA theory and give you a sense of the style of training that you will experience throughout your training journey.
- The Foundation Year is made up of 8 weekends of interactive and dynamic training, exploring the core theory of TA in more depth and with an emphasis on applying the concepts to your personal and professional life. The full Foundation Year includes a three day introduction to counselling skills. These three days are not required if you already have a COSCA recognised counselling qualification.
- At Physis we offer the opportunity to complete the Diploma in TA Counselling (validated by COSCA) after three years of training (Foundation plus Advanced Years 1 and 2). This allows you to practice as a TA Counsellor in private practice.
- You can continue and complete the taught requirement for qualification as a TA Psychotherapist (CTA) by completing Advanced Year 3 of training.
- In the final stages of your preparation for the CTA exam and ultimate registration as a UKCP Registered Psychotherapist you can choose to join one of our Exam Preparation Groups for support in successfully completing your written and oral exam processes.
Requirements to Apply for Examination as a TA Psychotherapist With EATA
- 300 hours TA training
- 300 hours TA or other psychotherapy training
- 150 hours supervision – 75 with a TSTA or PTSTA, 75 may be with a TA or other supervisor
- 750 hours clinical experience – 500 hours as primary therapist, 50 hours with couples/groups/families, 200 hours of applied TA
- 500 hours made up of other experiences of applying TA, e.g. personal therapy, supervision, workshops, training, attendance at conferences
Minimum Requirements to Qualify for Registration With UKCP on Completion
- 900 hours tutor contact (training and supervision combined)
- 450 hours supervised client work
- Supervision ratio of 1 hour supervision to 6 hours client work
- Minimum 2 years in supervised practice
- At least 2 long term clients. Mix of long and short term work. Demonstrate experience of closure.
Personal therapy: 40 hours per year for minimum of 4 years and throughout the duration of training “congruent with the psychotherapy in which they are training….normally undergone with a UKCP registered psychotherapist or equivalent”.